dahlia progress

hello friends! long time no see. it seems like this blog is looking like more of a monthly thing rather than a weekly one like I planned..it’s okay, I have an excuse! the wifi has STILL been down at work, and as I mentioned before that’s where I do most of my internetting. but we got a new router, so hopefully it’s back for good!
first off, what have I been up to? my dahlia is SO CLOSE to being done. I made a second muslin after recutting a size 6 all around, and it was still doing weird stuff. I was pinching all over the place trying to figure out what to do, when I pinched out the sleeve seam and EVERYTHING FELL INTO PLACE. seriously, it was like magic. suddenly the shoulders were fine, the yoke went into the right spot, everything. it was amazing. here’s my before and after pinning picture:

20141215_211855

LOOK HOW PERF

LOOK HOW PERF

so I figured out I needed a narrow shoulder adjustment. fixed the pattern pieces, and because I was getting impatient I didn’t bother making another muslin. I got right onto making the final dress! [actually that’s a lie. the second muslin sat for a while, then I made the adjustment on the pattern and thAT sat for a while, then I traced and cut new pattern pieces and those sat for a while..]

I got as far as putting in the zipper, but I don’t have an invisible zipper foot so it didn’t come out as nice as I would have liked it. I banged out the whole construction up to that point in a day so I was frustrated with it and put it aside..and of course, haven’t picked it up since. I documented most of the construction in a snapchat story, which is actually super fun and neat to see the whole thing go together. I saved most of the photos to post here, but there are a few holes.
I also saved most of the photos before captioning them, so I will try to remember and recreate..photo dump ahead:

all cut out and ready to go!

all cut out and ready to go!

dahlia fuckup #1

dahlia fuckup #1


dahlia fuckup #1..I always manage to sew at least one seam like this. seam rippers are your friend!

this is the point in which I realized I did a narrow shoulder adjustment on the bodice pieces bUT NOT THE SLEEVES. trying to sew the sleeve to the front bodice and finding a whole inch of extra fabric at the end was not fun. after much cursing, I made the adjustments and cut out new sleeves. always buy extra fabric, friends!

everything lines up!!

everything lines up!!


not pictured: I fucked up that same seam as in the previous picture. fuck me, right?

Snapchat-2067517690747556863
the gray suiting frays like a bitch and a half, so I used the mock-overlock on my machine. I wish my serger wasn’t dead :c

grading seams is messy. D+

grading seams is messy. D+

bodice completed!

bodice completed!

hahahahahaha fuck you side seam

hahahahahaha fuck you side seam

invisible zippers are scary

invisible zippers are scary

and that’s all I got. somehow the picture of the mostly completed dress got lost, too.

I was going to also post about my new year’s resolution and what else I’ve been working on, but this is gearing up to be a large post so I think I’ll split it up!

see you soon, friends!

Advertisements

One thought on “dahlia progress

  1. Pingback: goals for 2015 | trudy maed

leave a comment..

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s